Saturday, May 13, 2006

Our Family Station Wagon...

Since we don't have a car, we've outfitted my used Dutch bike to be able to carry as many groceries as possible (after a lot of squished bread, I finally added the wicker basket). My commute to the store takes only 5 minutes on the bike path. First I stop by the recycling center where I drop off paper, cardboard, chipboard and glass bottles. We basically have forced recycling since they only empty our single trash can twice a month (it was very ugly the one time we forgot to put it out). We have a separate compost can for food scraps since we don't have garbage disposals. Since we only have a mini frig, I've gotten very good at planning our meals and only buy exactly what we need for the next few days. You might be surprised to hear that not only have I started riding a bike since I moved here, but I've started cooking, too. Come to visit and see for yourself.

2 comments:

The Younger's said...

You cook!?! I may need to cross the Atlantic to see this for myself. :) So for those of us culinary groupies, do share - what kind of food is popular in the Hague?

jazz4307 said...

Mmmmmmm. My mouth is already watering. Can't wait.