Monday, May 30, 2011

Beauty of Shore Diving...

Most dive sites around the world have to be reached by boat, which means living by someone else’s schedule. The simplicity of diving in Bonaire is that there are over 50 shore dive sites, easily identifiable by yellow stones alongside the road with an excellent ranking system for ease of entry, depth and current. Jimmy loved the convenience of parking the truck, grabbing the gear and walking into the ocean whenever the mood struck. This photo clearly shows where the reef starts as the water turns from light to dark blue. Many sites also had a buoy to use as a guideline.
After hanging at the resort for a few days hoping that my ears would clear, I donned a snorkel vest (an adult version of swim armbands) and snorkeled along the shore while the family dove. Remarkably, I was able to see many of the same kinds of fish, just not the same volume or the diversity of corals (at this particularly rocky site, I saw an eel in just a foot of water).

No comments: