Friday, May 04, 2012

Hiking through the Slush...

On our last day in Garmisch, we left the girls behind while we took a hike on the mountain behind the hotel. We’d foolishly listened to the girl at the activity desk who’d told us that the conditions were great on the path. It turned out that much of the path was iced over. Luckily Jimmy had brought along his monopod, which I used as a walking stick.
We came across this memorial to soldiers from Garmisch that had died in World War II. It was with mixed emotions that I walked around looking at the plaques, each with a photo of mostly young men that died. While I have no compassion for Nazis, this was a touching way for the locals to remember their lost soldiers.
It was a slow slog up the icy mountain path, but we finally made it up to the ski hut for lunch and some local brews. We managed to make it back down without any injuries. When we went to Munich the next day, we went to Globetrotter, our favorite outdoor adventure store, and I bought a set of collapsible walking sticks so I can be better prepared for our next icy hike.

No comments: