Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Playing Tour Guide in Leiden...

The last time I saw Nicole, she was a five-year-old flower girl in my sister’s wedding in 1992. That same evening, she stopped being my niece as my divorce was finalized from Bill, her uncle. Twenty-two years later, she was passing through Holland and spent one night at our house along with her friend Jill. Both girls were really sweet and I had a great time showing them around Leiden.
After meeting my hash buddy’s parents, who were visiting from Michigan, at the FILTH Hash a few days earlier, I invited them to join us. We had a fun day visiting the windmill museum and De Burcht as well as having a beer on a barge on the main canal.
It was amazing how much Nicole looks like her mother. On our way back to the train station, we stopped to get a herring, a traditional Dutch snack. It’s obvious what Julie thought of it.
Nicole and Jill headed out that evening to catch the ferry to England. It was a short, but sweet visit.

No comments: