Wednesday, April 05, 2017

A Depressing Presidential Election Breakfast...

For the most part, we followed our usual tradition for our third US Presidential Election Breakfast by getting a room at the Kurhaus for a few hours of sleep and then watching the returns in our room before joining the crowd at the breakfast (this photo was taken early before the place filled up). 
What made this year different was that we had Reinhardt and Inga camped out in our room. Much to my chagrin, Reinhardt had been convinced for months that Trump would win and, as you know, he was right.
Early on I was still smiling, but as the results came in, I was in complete shock. It was definitely a very different experience than the two previous Election Breakfasts when the crowd was full of hope. After months of being addicted to the train wreck known as the American election, somehow I had still remained hopeful that a woman was about to be elected as president for the first time. I was not the only one in tears.
At one point I needed some fresh air and I stepped out to see the new Ferris wheel on the pier, which looked very cool in the dark.
Despite our depression, we still managed to smile when we posed with Hillary at the end.

No comments: