Monday, December 31, 2018

Don’t Intellectualize, Just Do It...

We weren’t 100% sure that we followed the official Corridor Route the entire way as we noticed that some folks were following a different path.
The big shock was when we came to this sheer cliff face with an up arrow painted on it (I didn’t take this photo as my camera was safely packed away in my backpack). Needless to say, I was terrified. Kent scrambled up while Jimmy stayed behind me and the two of them managed to talk me through grabbing onto the right spots to pull myself up the cliff. Rather than thinking about the danger, I just concentrated on getting through this obstacle in one piece. Kent’s advice was perfect: don’t intellectualize, just do it.
The rest of the route was a long slog, but that was to be expected since we went up 3,000 feet (916 meters) and then back down in one day. There was definitely a big feeling of accomplishment when we made it back to the car. Little did I know at the time what good preparation this hike would be for Everest Base Camp. That evening we had a nice pub dinner with Kent’s uncle and aunts.

No comments: