Sunday, May 10, 2026

Miscellaneous August 2024...

Somehow I had learned about a show southwest of London in the city of Woking. While the city has historic roots, the city center is mostly from the 20th and 21st century. This statue in Victoria Square was made in 2017. We were surprised when we were encouraged to bring our own wine into a Lebanese restaurant. We enjoyed a delicious meal with our cheap bottle of wine. 
The New Victoria Theatre opened in 1992. With 1,300 seats, it’s one of the largest theaters in England outside of London. We were curious to see how An Officer and a Gentleman could be transformed into a musical. 
I splurged for VIP tickets, which included a glass of bubbly and ice cream served in a private lounge. 
We thought the show was great!
Veronica visited David and Tamsin in Aberdeen and then she and David ventured down to Glasgow to spend a day with Ashlynn. 
Ashlynn enjoyed playing tour guide, taking them on a 13-mile (21-kilometer) walk around the city. 
In August I also finally made it to the Docklands Museum in Canary Wharf. I was so fascinated by the history of Wapping and the surrounding neighborhoods since World War II that I never made it to the other floors to learn about ancient history along the river. This model depicts the port on the north side of the Thames around 1938. As you can see, there’s interconnected harbors following the curve of the river. This area was heavily bombed during the Blitz and today only the harbors on the far left, next to Tower Bridge, and on the far right still exist; in between there is just a small canal.





 



 

No comments: