The Dutch love fried food and, I confess, some of it is hard to resist. It's common to see stands selling paper cones over-flowing with friets (fries) smothered in curry ketchup or mayo. At the market, we often lunch on loempias (Filipino egg rolls). During the Christmas season, kiosks are set up selling Belgian waffles and olie-
bollen, which are deep fried balls of dough rolled in powdered sugar that help warm us up on cold winter days. While I'm guilty of partaking in these unhealthy snacks, I'll definitely pass on the infamous Frikadel, which is popular in the train stations sold through heated automats. When I asked a Dutch hasher what was in them as he was preparing to shove one in his mouth, he said anything not good enough to be in sausage such as a combination of pork, beef, chicken, and horse brains and testicles. Doesn't that just make your mouth water?
No comments:
Post a Comment