Monday, July 07, 2008

New Herring...

It’s always a big deal here when the new herring are first caught in the spring in the North Sea. The first bucket of herring is sold for charity and this year over $85,000 was raised. Our friends went to the big kickoff ceremony on Flag Day at Scheveningen Harbor and brought some to share for Ashlynn’s birthday party. The fish aren’t cooked, but are soaked for 5 days in a salty brine. The heads are cut off and they’re gutted, but the tails are left on and there are still small bones. While Jimmy tried one during our visit back in 2004, thus far I’d avoided having any. Peer pressure’s a powerful thing and I felt compelled to try one, but skipped rubbing it in raw onions as is traditional. Much to my surprise, I liked it! Don’t be surprised when you visit if I introduce you to this Dutch sushi.

No comments: