I’ve know Abbie from the Amsterdam Hash for several years. It finally dawned on me that I should invite her to come speak at the American Women’s Club about her career as a freelance art restorer who specializes in paintings from the Dutch Golden Age. I was thrilled that she agreed to give a presentation; she’s a dynamic speaker and the response was fantastic by all who attended. I felt very honored that she gave me a tour of her restoration studio at the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem. Here’s the latest painting she’s been working on for months: Cornelis Claesz van Wieringen’s The Capture of Damiate from 1628.
I’d never been to the Frans Hals Museum before and really enjoyed it. I especially loved this painting: Allegory on the Tulip Trade by Jan Breughel II in 1640. It is a satire of tulip mania that hit 17th century Holland with monkeys representing the tulip dealers.
No comments:
Post a Comment