Friday, February 03, 2012

Day 3: The Haunted Elevator...


We arrived at our hotel in Jerusalem just as the Sabbath was starting on Friday at sunset. We learned that it is common for some Jewish families to spend the Sabbath at a hotel so it is easy for them to relax and not do any work. Both hotels served only kosher meals: dairy and eggs at breakfast with no meat other than herring, and meat with no dairy at dinner. I was impressed with the large selection of vegetables and salads each day except Saturday, which had a limited menu during the Sabbath. 

Little did I know that the timing of our arrival would impact us in a funny way. When Al, Andrea and I got into the elevator, I pushed for the 4th floor, but nothing happened. Then I pushed the close doors button and we went down to the basement. I pushed the 4th floor again and we went to the 6th floor. Al then confessed he was claustrophobic; he wanted to get out, but we convinced him to stay. Linda, Marijke and Batya were waiting and laughing when we finally arrived at the 4th floor. We thought the elevator was haunted, but turns out we’d gotten into the “Sabbath Elevator” and it had been pre-programmed to stop at every floor so passengers could ride it without having to do the work of pushing buttons. 


No comments: