Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tallinn Christmas Market...

The Christmas Market was small, but we enjoyed it. The booths sold a variety of local crafts and I came home loaded up with ceramic Christmas decorations, wooden spoons and amber hedgehogs.It was interesting talking to an American at the market who grew up on a cattle farm in Colorado. He blamed the spread of corporate farming in the US for his inability to afford to farm as his forefathers had. After researching his options, he moved to Estonia where he now owns a farm with 1,000 sheep.
The setting was lovely with a giant tree in the center of Town Hall Square; there is some documentation that suggests that Tallinn actually had the first decorated Christmas tree in the world in 1441. I wish I could take credit for taking this wonderful photo, but it was actually shot by our friend Darren.
It was quite entertaining watching teenagers dressed in ski jackets dancing to songs from Grease on the main stage. Father Christmas met  kids in a small cottage, then came onto stage to sing some songs.

No comments: