Monday, May 12, 2014

Starting the New Year at a Sanitarium?

Leave it to Jimmy and Veronica to insist we start the New Year with a visit to another abandoned building. Here’s what Veronica had to say about our visit to Sanitorium E in an article she wrote for Going Dutch:

Our other urbex adventure in Berlin was not as well planned, a last-minute decision on New Year’s Day. I spent hours looking for a place that was both safe enough to walk in without the ceiling collapsing and wouldn’t be guarded; I chose a sanitarium outside the nearby city of Potsdam. 
Built between 1912 and 1914, it was originally a lung clinic and then a skin clinic, closing in 1994. The building is protected as a cultural heritage and there are plans to transform it into a hotel. Well, we sure got our fair share of a thrill. The first part of our adventure was finding the sanitarium, which was easier than I had actually expected.
The second part was getting in; again not too hard with an inviting hole in the fence surrounding the property and a side doorway with no door. 


No comments: