Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Long Walk in Wassenaar...

I went on several nice long walks in July, the first being with Carlin and Terri in Wassenaar. We started at the Airbnb house rental that Carlin had been staying in since their house sold. Our first stop was for tea at the outdoor café at the Voorlinden Museum.
We then headed out the back of the museum’s property through a hole under the fence into Meijendel, our region’s largest contiguous dune area. 
We stopped to eat our picnic lunch on a random dune.
We happened upon Waalsdorpervlakte, a World War II Memorial at the location where more than 250 people, including many members of the Dutch Resistance, were executed by the Nazis. 
It was a nice clear day with views down to Scheveningen Beach. 
Terri and I had a vague memory of going to a restaurant several years ago at the beach between Wassenaar and Scheveningen, but somehow didn’t realize that it was next to the nude beach...
…where we spotted this dude daring to enter the cold water.
Much more exciting was spotting this strandbeest (beach beast). For years I’ve known that artist Theo Jansen makes beasts out of PVC pipes that walk down the beach, but had never had the good fortune to see him in action. Unfortunately, I couldn't stick around until this creature went for a walk.
Later we ran into a different kind of creature...
…and a pooper scooper available on loan for those who need it. 
 

No comments: