Monday, February 27, 2023

Hashing in Slovenia...

Saturday was a hashing day, so we loaded up on a bus and was taken to the start of trail. 
The first section was flat through farm fields...
…with a border crossing nearby. I stopped taking photos as the trail wound its way up a steep hill that required hand scrambling (definitely not my favorite way to hash). I was nervous as I quickly found myself alone, but I managed to fumble my way to the top. 
Later I was surprised to come across Opee as he should have been far ahead of me, but he had found something on a false trail that he wanted to make sure I didn’t miss: an industrial honey operation. 
Apparently there were approximately 15,000 bees in each of the 90 hives, so well over a million bees. We were invited to step inside the truck to see the subterfuge spinning the honey out of the honeycomb. It was odd to see that some of the employees wore full protective suits and others didn’t, but clearly no one was afraid of the bees. 
I’ve never been a big fan of honey, but eating it fresh out of the hive was incredible! 
One of the hashers was given a big jar which we were happy to help him eat with bread at that afternoon’s winery stop at Penina Istenic.  
First we circled up and ate our sandwiches below the winery. Unlike any circles I’d been to before, this one included a bunch of informal wine tastings conducted by harriettes.

 

No comments: