Monday, September 02, 2024

Our First Guests...

Lucky for me, Jimmy isn’t a told you so kind of guy. I thought we should get rid of Ashlynn’s bed and mattress because I didn’t think we’d have space in London, but I was wrong. Just 10 days after moving into our new flat, we had the guestroom ready for our first guests: Veronica and Brett, or I should say Dr. Brett. Brett and Veronica had been living together in Exeter since September, but he had just finished and defended his PhD. His next step was to head to Hamburg for a mini-postdoc before moving to Paris. We were happy that we got to see him before he moved off the island.
Jimmy was thrilled that he got to finally try his new toy: an electric pizza oven. 
The pizza was excellent! 
The following night we went to the London Coliseum to see the English National Opera perform The Handmaid’s Tale. The seats were horribly uncomfortable and the singing helped confirm that I really don’t like opera. However, I thought the show was incredible! The way that the horrific conditions that the women were living under and what would have been graphic violence in a book or movie was depicted on stage was truly remarkable. I think Margaret Atwood would have been proud. 
Earlier that day, Brett bought a used Brompton foldable bike for his future life in Paris where he’ll be doing a postdoc for two years.


 

No comments: