Monday, July 16, 2007

Dutch 101 - Introduce Yourself

Ik ben Melissa. Ik kom uit Noord Carolina in Amerika, maar woon nu in Nederland. Ik spreek een beetje Nederlands. Ik zit bij huis en eet bon-bons. Ik heb twee dochters. Veronica en Ashlynn hebben blond haar en blauwe ogen. Zij gaan naar de school op de trein en bus. Mijn man is James. Hij is lang en slank. Hij gaat naar werk op de fiets.

That's about it folks. After 20 months and 40 hours of Dutch lessons, I can introduce myself and my family. I can also order in a restaurant and shop in the market. That is if no one speaks back to me. As soon as they say anything back, I still panic and switch to English. Lucky for me, most Dutch between 15 to 60 years old speak fluent English, as well as French and German. Sadly, learning new languages doesn't come easy to me and I'm too lazy to study.

No comments: