
In light of all the fears of rising sea levels, when I read that a Dutchman had attempted to recreate
Noah's Ark, I was intrigued. When I was looking for something to do on a holiday in May, I figured it was worth checking out. We met Sally, David and Andrew and headed north. First we stopped in Alkmaar so Jimmy could see the infamous cheese market and cheese museum. Then we headed to the town of Schagen where the Ark was sitting in the harbor.

It's massive size was definitely impressive. At 230 feet, it's short compared to the original at 450 feet, but the width and height are supposedly the same. It took 2 years and over $1 million Euros to build. Of course, unlike Noah, this fellow used power tools. It was built on a steel barge with the intent of being able to sail around Holland. With all the rain we're getting around here lately, everyone in Holland might need arks soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment