Little did we know that in addition to learning Dutch, we’d need to learn the Queen’s English as well since we’re surrounded by Brits at school and work. Of course, I already knew that Brits had accents and spelled things funny (all this time I thought it was the Pilgrims trying to break ties to the motherland that created all the differences in spelling, but now I know it’s because there were no good dictionaries back then so they just guessed how to spell things). The girls have some new sentences that they definitely wouldn’t have used at their old school: Mrs. Cross was rather cross today, Jimmy was not acting sensible at all, the movie was simply brilliant. So you won’t need a translator when you see us, some of our new vocabulary includes: jumper=sweatshirt, trousers=pants, cheeky=bold, bin=trash can, trainers=sneakers, biscuit=cookie, and bum=butt.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Learning the Queen’s English - Part 1
Little did we know that in addition to learning Dutch, we’d need to learn the Queen’s English as well since we’re surrounded by Brits at school and work. Of course, I already knew that Brits had accents and spelled things funny (all this time I thought it was the Pilgrims trying to break ties to the motherland that created all the differences in spelling, but now I know it’s because there were no good dictionaries back then so they just guessed how to spell things). The girls have some new sentences that they definitely wouldn’t have used at their old school: Mrs. Cross was rather cross today, Jimmy was not acting sensible at all, the movie was simply brilliant. So you won’t need a translator when you see us, some of our new vocabulary includes: jumper=sweatshirt, trousers=pants, cheeky=bold, bin=trash can, trainers=sneakers, biscuit=cookie, and bum=butt.
No comments:
Post a Comment