Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday in Chandigarh...

The wedding events all took place in Chandigarh, India’s first planned urban development (PUD) started in the 1950’s. This city is India’s richest, greenest and least polluted. The population is nearing 1 million; it was originally designed to have 13 sectors, but today has 70. Being the naive person I am, I thought it would be reminiscent to Tierrasanta, the lovely PUD where I used to live in San Diego. Silly me!

Despite not having a map, the driver eventually found our hotel in Sector 43 and our friend was in the lobby to great us.


This cow was being walked in the uncle’s neighborhood, where many of the events over the four days would take place. We saw haircuts given on street corners here as well as in Delhi. This city has a high concentration of Sikhs, a warrior offshoot of Hinduism that doesn’t believe in the caste system. Our friend’s family is easily identifiable as Sikhs by the men’s turbans; neither the men nor women typically cut their hair ever in their lives.

No comments: