Friday, February 26, 2010

Shopping in Chandigarh...


We should have taken a nap, but instead we went to Sector 17, the shopping district. This area was filled with very nice stores on the ground floor, but looked largely deserted on higher levels. There were some persistent beggars, who we were better prepared for with pens and candy on our second visit.

Sister-in-law Shawn from London came along to try to help me find an outfit for the wedding. Luckily I had borrowed an Indian suit from a friend in The Hague, as we quickly discovered I was too broad-shouldered for the affordable suits. I especially enjoyed my return visit the next morning with Mandy (a cousin from London). Rather than search through racks, a salesman had her sit and brought her elaborate and colorful outfits to choose from. I was surprised that they didn’t ask more about what she was looking for or made recommendations based on her figure, but rather just filled up the counter with options. Amazingly, she found two lovely outfits and left very happy.

No comments: