Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Arts and Crafts in Agra...

Despite being on a private tour, we were still taken to a variety of shops where we actually had little or no desire to purchase anything. However, it was interesting seeing how the inlaid stonework is done and how carpets are made. While I expected the shopping to be fantastic since I really like Indian clothing and jewelry, I was disappointed. Not sure if we were just shopping in the wrong area or if what I like is mostly made for export.
When our tour was over, the guide was going to drop us off at the train station three hours before our train left. We felt like snobs, but asked him to drop us off at a 5-star hotel so we could hang out in comfort instead. We were entertained by this young man and his brother with their handmade puppets, which we gladly bought for the girls. The train arrived back in Delhi at 10 p.m. and our flight left at 5 a.m., so we hung out in our hotel lobby before catching an early taxi to the airport. While I loved the wedding and am glad we went, I was very happy to arrive back in Holland.

No comments: