
When I told a friend that Jimmy and I were going to visit Dachau Concentration Camp, she asked why we would want to do something that we knew would only make us sad. I responded that it’s important that the horrors that happened there aren’t forgotten. And there’s little doubt that we’ll ever forget visiting the Nazi’s first concentration camp, which opened in 1933 and was liberated in 1945. This camp originally housed mainly German political prisoners, but later expanded to house Jews and others for a total of over 200,000 prisoners (of which 32,000 were killed here). It served as a prototype for the thousands of camps all over Europe. Considering how close the camp backs up to houses, it’s not surprising to hear that some locals would like to close the memorial site. Hopefully the foundation set up to run the site will succeed in keeping it open to make sure that future generations don’t forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment