Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Museum of Bags and Purses...

I had visited the Museum of Bags and Purses once before, but it wasn’t until I went on a tour with the AWC that I fully appreciated what a unique collection it contains. For ten years, the owner of the collection opened her private home in Amstelveen for tours. With over 5,000 bags, pouches, suitcases, purses and other accessories, her collection eventually outgrew her home and in 2007, the museum moved to a lovely 17th century canal house in Amsterdam. Our tour included lunch in this beautifully restored room.
The museum showcases the history of the handbag in Western cultures from the Middle Ages until today. This is the oldest bag in the museum dating from the 16th century and would have been worn by a man since clothing at that time didn’t have pockets. Made from goat’s leather, it contained 18 compartments and would have been worn attached to a belt.
Not sure why, but I’ve always like steamer trunks. This toiletry kit really puts mine to shame!
Ever since visiting Tokyo, I’m drawn to things from Japan.
Just a month before our visit, the museum purchased this Asprey, a British luxury brand founded in 1781, handbag owned by Margaret Thatcher, former British Prime Minister from Christie’s in London for € 22,000.
This bag shown in the Street Couture temporary exhibit was definitely one of the craziest we saw. Luckily no sharks were actually harmed in the making of this bag.

No comments: