Monday, March 12, 2018

Leiden and Amsterdam....

Ola, Nick and I spent the day after Thanksgiving in Leiden. We started with a trip to the De Valk Windmill Museum.
After climbing down all the windmill’s ladders and going to lunch, we went to a microbrewery where we were shocked when a generous Dutch woman gave us one of her beers after she overheard the bartender telling us that he had just sold the last one of what we tried to order. That night Ola and Nick headed to Amsterdam...
....where we met up with them at a pub the following night. Earlier that day, Jimmy and I happened upon an antique shop that reminded us of the Room of Requirements from Harry Potter.
We had dinner at the Foodhallen (Food Hall), where I enjoyed a soy hot dog with hummus and popcorn.
I said something to the Dutch woman next to me after noticing the name on her glass (which happened to be the name of the road where I grew up) and she suggested that I take her glass home although it wasn’t exactly hers to give away. In an example of how crime feeds upon itself, rather than rejecting her offer, we decided that taking home one glass wasn’t enough, so bought a glass of bubbly and took that glass home as well. I felt very guilty, but love our new glasses.
While walking across town to meet Ola and Nick, we came across a wall plastered with ON ON posters. We never figured out what it was actually promoting, but was definitely a fitting background for a photo of a couple of hashers.

No comments: