After a friend cycled late at night through the Rotherhithe Tunnel under the Thames and said it wasn’t bad, I thought I’d try walking through it. So I walked over to Limehouse and made my way to the tunnel, which was opened in 1908 with two lanes for cars and sidewalks for bikes and pedestrians on both sides.
I quickly learned why it doesn’t show up as a suggested walking route on any of the mapping apps I use: the ventilation is horrible! I was constantly breathing in exhaust fumes for 1.5 kilometers. The first half of the tunnel was nicely tiled...
…while the second half was just boring cement. There were distance markers along the way, which seemed to taunt me by reminding me how much longer I would be stuck under the river.
While this isn’t actually the view upon emerging from the tunnel, I went out of my way to remind myself how lucky I am to live next to this amazing river.





No comments:
Post a Comment