Before moving here, I didn't even realize that The Netherlands had a Queen. I still don't know much about the Royal Family, but was excited about my first chance to see them even if it was from afar. On Prinsjesdag (Day of the Princes) the 3rd Tuesday of each September, Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander (next in line to the throne) and his wife Princess Maxima ride in a golden carriage through the streets of Den Haag. They travel from the working palace to the parliament so the Queen can deliver the opening speech for the new parliamentary year. I kept the girls out of school so they could join me for lunch at a friend's apartment on a prime viewing corner. She was told there was a marine sharpshooter posted on the 5th floor balcony, but when we got permission to go up there we discovered instead of an uzi, he was armed with a very nice Nikon.
Sunday, October 15, 2006
A View of the Royals...
Before moving here, I didn't even realize that The Netherlands had a Queen. I still don't know much about the Royal Family, but was excited about my first chance to see them even if it was from afar. On Prinsjesdag (Day of the Princes) the 3rd Tuesday of each September, Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander (next in line to the throne) and his wife Princess Maxima ride in a golden carriage through the streets of Den Haag. They travel from the working palace to the parliament so the Queen can deliver the opening speech for the new parliamentary year. I kept the girls out of school so they could join me for lunch at a friend's apartment on a prime viewing corner. She was told there was a marine sharpshooter posted on the 5th floor balcony, but when we got permission to go up there we discovered instead of an uzi, he was armed with a very nice Nikon.
Labels:
Den Haag
No comments:
Post a Comment