Monday, February 11, 2008

Mush! Mush!

I must confess that I was excited, but scared about driving a husky sled. It was 0° F, but we were well bundled up.
Luckily I didnt have to steer the sled. These Alaskan Huskies are truly running machines. Our team was very fast, but not bright enough to slow down as they come upon a slower team, so my entire job was to stomp on the brake in the middle of the skids at the back of the sled. The funny thing is that the dogs would turn back and bark at me as I stopped them from ramming another sled. It was truly exhilarating yet exhausting as we flew over the packed snow for 2 hours on a 12-mile track. No idea how those Iditarod racers do it. To read more, check out a recent Washington Post article about dog sledding.

1 comment:

The Younger's said...

I am officially jealous! How do you find all these cool places to visit on your travels? And what's the country count for you and the girls now? Great job with the blog! ~Suzanne