Monday, February 25, 2008

Nature’s Light Show...



Much to our delight and utter amazement, Mother Nature provided us with the perfect ending to this magical day. After dinner, the girls went outside at about 9pm to sled while I stayed behind to email Jimmy. I hadnt even finished the first sentence when Ashlynn ran into the room saying that the Northern Lights had appeared. I was so excited, that I dashed out without my coat despite freezing temps because I didnt want to risk missing the show. There were streaks of green lights all over the sky that were constantly moving. At one point it looked like the light was dancing. It lasted for about 20 minutes, but showed up again a few hours later; this time I watched (wearing my coat) from various spots while the girls slept. These photos (sorry they stink, but the camera was handheld during an extremely long exposure by a total amateur--me) were taken from outside our cabin the following night. While we were a tad disappointed that the lights werent more colorful, we were spoiled that they appeared for two nights of our visit since theyre most commonly seen in the late fall and spring. What a thrill!

No comments: