I spent much of the last two days familiarizing myself with our neighborhood and hunting/gathering food and supplies, which is complicated by the fact that many products have little or no English on the labels. My first big "lost in translation" moment was when I bought shampoo that said "shiny." Little did I know that shiny would mean oily for our non-Japanese hair. Ashlynn suggested that I look for "blonde" shampoo, but as you can imagine, there's not much demand for that in Asia, so now we're trying "extra volume." Next time, we'll be sure to just bring our own.
Ashlynn had to be at the agency at 12:30, so I walked with her and then tried out the metro for the first time. It was easy enough to figure out routing from a map, but I did get pretty disoriented at the transfer station. Anyways, made it to Shibuya to see the infamous "scramble crossing" in front of that station which allows pedestrians to cross at diagonals. These photos don't do justice to the number of folks that cross at the same time.
Ashlynn drives through this area pretty regularly in the casting van and can't wait for me to see it at night. Also need to be sure to get a view from above even if it means going to Starbucks.
I was pleasantly surprised to get a message from her that she had a break after her coffee commercial audition, so she tried out the metro for the first time to meet me. The app she was using gave her better routing, but that meant that she couldn't find the station exit where I suggested we meet. Amazingly she managed to find me as I was crossing the street.No sooner did she arrive that the agency called and said she was needed back at 4:30 instead of 6:30, so we had less than two hours to explore and grab some lunch. After discovering that my debit card wouldn't work in the ATM or the store, it was just as well that we didn't have time to shop.




No comments:
Post a Comment