Friday, October 13, 2017

More of Richmond...

The following day Jimmy had a meeting about two hours from London, so he got up early and drove west. Seanette and I enjoyed a leisurely walk with the dogs along the Thames. 
It was quite remarkable to learn that due to the tides of the Thames, these stairs are underwater for up to 12 hours per day.
We saw several artists along the way. In a small world moment, I ran into the ex-PTA president of Ashlynn’s school, who had recently relocated to the area. 
After lunch, we took a guided tour around the historical center of Richmond, which is a suburb of London. The theatre built in 1898 is still used for its original purpose, but the building next door from the same era has been converted into the library. I didn’t take a photo of what little remains of Richmond Palace built by Henry VII in 1501; Queen Elizabeth died there in 1603.
This is one of Richmond’s oldest pubs from 1770, although the original building burned down in 1834. After the tour, I joined Seanette and some other expat women for Happy Hour before heading to the train to catch my ferry back to Holland. Jimmy had a crazy afternoon of over five hours of driving to get from his meeting to return his car before catching a train to the ferry. It was tight, but he made it with about 15 minutes to spare. 

No comments: