Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Masterpieces...

I'd like to say that it's my new interest in art since my exposure to all those Dutch Masters that fed my desire to visit the Louvre. Sadly, the real reason is much cornier than that-- I've wanted to go since reading "The Da Vinci Code". On our last visit to Paris, we did all the silly photos with the Pyramid and the Inverted Pyramid without actually entering the world's most famous art museum. Now it was time to see the big stuff--The Mona Lisa. We were thrilled that there weren't any lines at the ticket window and only one group of Japanese tourists at the painting itself. I was not disappointed. It is truly a masterpiece. I definitely like the theory that it's a self-portrait of Da Vinci. Jimmy agrees, but has an additional theory that the one on display is a fake and that the real one is locked up in some vault deep in the recesses of the museum reinforcing that it's often the intrigue behind a piece of art that makes it a masterpiece. Veronica thought it was "funny that there were two guards just standing next to it" and liked the background of the painting. Ashlynn thought it was funny that it's "just a picture of a girl; it's tiny, but pretty". As you might have noticed, this photo isn't of the Mona Lisa but of the Venus de Milo with our two masterpieces.

No comments: