Friday, April 20, 2018

Art in Rotterdam...

One Saturday, Jimmy and I headed to Rotterdam to get some culture. Sadly, when we wandered into the Kunsthal’s exhibit called Circus Europa, I wish I hadn’t as it was very graphic and disturbing.
I much preferred Cabin Crew: Fashion in the Air, which featured 200 of the 1,400 uniforms amassed by a KLM purser who started his collection in 1993.
Then we went to Sint Laurenskerk (the only remaining medieval building after the Germans decimated Rotterdam in 1940) to see the World Press Photo Exhibit. Perhaps I was just naive, but I was not prepared for how violent and depressing most of the exhibit was and now know to avoid going to future exhibits.
There were a few unrelated things in the church that I enjoyed, including this display of LED candles surrounding the candles lit by visitors for loved ones.
After all those disturbing images, it felt great to laugh at the two tables filled with photos of Tiny Trump, which is apparently a meme sensation that we hadn’t seen before.
Just outside the church was this cool sculpture shaped like a Dutch house with step gables.

No comments: