Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Learning Dutch...

After 12 years, I finally took an Intensive Beginner Dutch Course in January that started at 9:30 a.m. and ended at 5 p.m. for ten days. The morning session was taught by several serious teachers that threw so much grammar and vocabulary at us that my head was spinning. We learned a lot during the afternoon as well, but Petra was like comedy relief in comparison. She was older and hilarious, which helped to make the entire experience bearable.
I was the oldest and only non-EU student; in addition, I was the only student that didn’t already speak two or more languages. Strangely, four of the eight students were Portuguese dentists who are trying to relocate to get away from bad working conditions. Those poor kids went straight from the beginner course into the intermediate, which I was neither academically or mentally ready for. 
We finished the course with an exam, wine and Dutch snacks. While it was a painful experience, I did learn a lot. I still can’t speak more than a few sentences, but my vocabulary has really increased (although in exchange I keep forgetting English words). Perhaps mijn brein is vol (my brain is full) and there’s no space left for all that I must still learn to get long-term residency.

No comments: