Friday, August 21, 2020

Something Entirely Different...

In a corner of the Hermitage that I’d never visited before, I came across the Outsider Art Museum, which features art made by individuals who aren’t formally trained as artists and thus their work tends to be authentic and unconventional. This exhibition Woest (Fierce) featured a retrospective of Dutch artist Willem van Genk who passed away in 2005.
He first made drawings in pen and ink, then collages in oil and eventually drawings in four ballpoint pen colors. This collage was of The Hague...
...and this drawing was of a London tube station.
From the 1980s, he created trolleys made of waste material...
...and eventually an entire trolley bus station.
Outside the museum were three cool junk art sculptures made by Patrick Visser, a Dutch Metal Artist. He says, “My passion is to bring dead, cold discarded metal to life.” I agree that he’s done a wonderful job.

No comments: