
I went to the Maritime Museum and was especially impressed with the incredible images in the special exhibit called Rising Tide, but also highly alarmed by this major wake-up call that climate change is an unstoppable force that can only be slowed down.
I was also very impressed with the ability to get up close to the Royal Barge, which was off display for eight years until this purpose-built boathouse was built in 2015. Neptune and his three horses symbolize the greatness of the head of state and also of a safe journey. Built in 1818, it wasn’t used for the first time until 1841 for the inauguration of King Willem II. It was used around 30 times for state visits and other official occasions. It was last used during the 25th wedding anniversary celebration for Queen Juliana and Prince Bernard in 1962.

I also quickly visited the replica of the Dutch East Indiaman Ship...
…and noticed that the harbor next door had been roped off for the Marine Terrain outdoor swimming spot.
After visiting the museum, I walked through the area behind the museum which used to be military property but is now a public space. There were big circles drawn on the grass so folks would know where they could stand or sit while socially distanced from others. This side entrance to the museum is only accessible by employees.
Across the water, I found these lovely murals.
…and these cool waterfront mini-greenhouses that made international news as an innovative and safe way to serve restaurant guests.









No comments:
Post a Comment