Monday, June 03, 2019

First Night in Seoul...

Ashlynn popped into the apartment for lunch and then went out for more castings, which gave me a chance to nap. Later we walked about 15 minutes to a large and very impressive grocery store, unlike any I saw during previous trips to Seoul. I had a good laugh when I saw this large gift box of Spam...
...which is apparently quite popular in Seoul as we also saw Spam in other stores (according to Wikipedia, South Korea is second only to the US in Spam production and consumption).
That evening we bundled up and headed to Konkuk, a neighborhood surrounding Konkuk University.
We had dinner at a Korean BBQ restaurant with a group of models (Taya, 15, Australian; Eugeniy, 21, Russian; Simon, 20, Finnish; Josh, 18, British; and Meika, 14, Australian) and the girls’ mothers. I had no idea at the time that I’d end up hanging out many evenings with these kids and several other models at the boys’ apartment which was on the rooftop of the building housing the agency. 
Although we couldn’t actually order vegetarian BBQ, we gave our meat away and ate a ton of delicious tofu and greens.
That evening I was reintroduced to soju, a Korean liquor. Beer and wine were expensive, but soju was super cheap and easy to buy at the mini-mart near the apartment in a variety of flavors, so it was a favorite of the models and me, too.



No comments: