Monday, June 28, 2021

Spending Time with Ann...

I arrived in Silicon Valley on April 11 to spend two weeks helping Ann to sort through Dad’s life. Needless to say, she was heartbroken, but that didn’t stop her from looking incredible. I especially loved how her hair turned out after she stopped dying it during lockdown.
One of my big tasks was to sort through Dad’s large closet. After Ashlynn requested that I bring her one of his Hawaiian shirts, I set out to identify shirts for the rest of us. Ann looked great in this one.  
One of my funnier tasks was to attempt to open the wall safe. I had very low expectations after a few others had already tried following the combination lock instructions, so I didn’t expect much luck. 
Imagine my surprise when it opened on the first try. 
Never expected to discover this in Dad’s wallet: an old Far Side cartoon that I’d given him decades ago.
Despite the nine hour time difference, I managed to participate in two Brussels H3 Friday Night Zoom calls. I picked up some unique US microbrews for the occasion. I couldn’t resist taking photos of the beers for Untappd with some of Dad’s jazz figurines.
As gross as this one might sound, I really liked it.
In addition to sorting through Dad’s closet and office, I looked through lots of photos and letters in this large hall closet, which also housed Dad’s impressive record collection. 
I brought home a lot of old family photos and slides (which Veronica will scan for me), plus some special treats like this adorable pop-up card that Ashlynn made many years ago.
 

No comments: