While Ashlynn was busy with her final job, I finally made it to the Edo-Tokyo Museum. This museum opened in 1993 to allow guests to journey through the 400 years of the Edo and Tokyo periods.
I noticed a sign near the entrance about guided tours. When I asked when there would be an English tour, the answer was, “Right now.” Imagine my surprise when I learned that I would be given a 1.5 hour private tour. It was fascinating! I learned a lot about the variety of replicas in the museum. Some were small, like these two......and some were life size, like this theater.
The guided tour covered just the Edo section of the museum. I wandered the Tokyo side on my own and saw this small replica of Ginza in 1886...
...and this life-size replica of a housing complex in 1962. I also learned a lot about the allied bombings of Tokyo during World War II, which destroyed half of the city.






No comments:
Post a Comment