The only city we cycled through was Ahrweiler, which both Veronica and Ashlynn visited during a school trip, but Jimmy and I had never been to. The medieval gate was impressive...
...and the pedestrian area was quaint. We stopped at a wine bar to try some local wine.
Eventually our route led to the Rhine River where we passed the remains of the Bridge at Remagen which was captured by the US, but eventually collapsed in March 1945 after the Germans attacked it several times in failed attempts to regain control.
We cycled into the sunset and finally stopped at a riverfront restaurant for dinner. I wasn’t thrilled about cycling the rest of the way in the dark, but Jim loaned me his helmet which had a funky but very effective light.
As our group leader, Jim was relieved when I told him it was one of the best cycle rides I’ve ever been on.







No comments:
Post a Comment