Friday, October 21, 2016

C2C Day 2: Southern Shore of Ennerdale Water...

Stage 2: Ennerdale Bridge to Rosthwaite
It was sprinkling when we got up the next morning, so we went to breakfast in our raingear. We enjoyed a yummy breakfast in the farmhouse and then set off. 
Here is another type of stile: a kissing gate. The innkeepers gave us a map so we could take a shortcut straight to the shorter and easier northern shore of Ennerdale Water, a 2.5-mile (4K) long glacial lake that is the most westerly lake in the Lakes District National Park.
Unfortunately, the map was inaccurate and we ended up at the southern shore instead. To complicate matters further, I experienced a rare and brief moment of vertigo while on flat ground.
It was foggy and wet, but lovely as we walked along the shore.
Unfortunately, the trail didn’t stay low the entire way. After about 45 minutes, we reached a section called Robin Hood’s Chair, which is a series of rock stairs leading straight up that would require using hands to stay balanced. I freaked! Jimmy went ahead to evaluate the likelihood that I could make the climb; between the worry of my suffering from vertigo, my weak ankle and my fear of falling, he determined that we should turn back. 
He encouraged Kent and Carlin to continue on and we’d meet them later, but they refused. I felt bad to be dragging them down, but was touched by their dedication to keep our group together. I’m happy to report that this was the only time we went astray and the only time that I chickened out. 

No comments: