Sunday, February 03, 2019

EBC Day 6: Classy Pheriche...

We arrived back at the lodge at noon with a long day ahead of us with not much to do other than eat and write in our journals. I took a 30-minute nap, which helped recharge my batteries. Several other groups checked into the lodge, so we had company for the first time.
We had been completely offline for the past 1.5 days. After contacting my family daily, it was hard being out of touch. I missed wishing Veronica good luck for her move back to Norwich to finish her final year of her Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science. I also had no idea what was happening with Ashlynn’s plans to go to Paris Fashion Week with IMG Models.
After noticing that our guides were hanging laundry out in the sunshine, Carlin, Terri and I did some quick washing of underwear. It took the three of us to get the water from the large jug at the sinks, wash everything, rinse it...
....and then hang it all. The clouds started coming in, but it didn’t rain and everything dried quickly. The large metal discs were used to attract the sun’s energy to heat the water kettles.
As we expected, prices were increasing as we went higher up. Most days we just paid for bottled water and maybe an extra cup of tea. Our lodge boasted having a bakery, so we ordered the cinnamon rolls, but they were dry and overpriced. Calling the nearby shop a shopping centre was definitely a stretch.
I was surprised to learn that our trekking guides carry enough cash to pay for all the lodging and meals along the way. They keep detailed records to reconcile with each teahouse and report back to Himalayan Wonders.

No comments: