Wednesday, February 06, 2019

EBC Day 8: Final Push to Everest Base Camp...

After lunch, we repacked our daypacks for the big climb to EBC. Ishor suggested that I hire Sagar, a 21-year-old porter who had worked with Ishor for three seasons, to carry my bag as he knew that I would struggle in the high altitude. I was worried that it would be difficult for me to access my morphine drip, but Sagar was happy to walk next to me so I could grab it whenever I needed a hit.
I was still so slow that I suggested that Terri, Carlin, Kent and Ishor go on without me as I’d set a turnaround time since I didn’t want to be stuck out after dark and didn’t want to be responsible for them possibly missing out on making it to the camp. By then it had started to lightly hail, so I put on my lovely hot pink poncho and kept pushing onwards.
I was completely thrilled that my gang was still at EBC at 17,600 feet (5,364 meters), when I arrived. We all hugged―it was very emotional.
It was also a bit anti-climatic as it wasn’t Everest climbing season (May – June), so there were no tents nor would we have spotted Everest even if the weather was clear.
Sagar’s English wasn’t great, but his attitude was wonderful and he was always smiling.
We did it―we set ourselves a goal and we succeeded.
Three Very Proud Ladies
Qdeer, James and Rosie, who was still very sick, set off separately so I wouldn’t slow them down. I am clearly slow, but I did it!
It was a slow slog back down to Gorak Shep passing by the Khumbu Glacier, the world’s highest glacier and Nepal’s largest glacier.
Our accommodation at Everest Inn was the worst of all with mediocre food, no heat in the dining room, and no light or sink in the loo. I hit a new low when I brushed my teeth over the toilet. I went to bed very early and slept really well with a hot water bottle between my knees.

No comments: