Thursday, August 20, 2015

Wandering Asakusa...

We ventured off into some side streets to explore beyond the shopping area surrounding the temple. This house had some unusual animal statues and a front door within a giant wooden vat.
This ordinary street is an example of the crazy power lines that are strung up all over.
I'd read about "love hotels," short stay hotels, but this was the first one I've seen. You don't have to read Japanese to figure out that there are different rates depending upon how long you stay:
2 hours = $30
3 hours = $38
From 5 a.m. - 8 p.m. = $38
From 8 p.m. = $55
The name doesn't seem particularly romantic.
It's difficult to sneak photos in a kimono store, but I did manage this pic of fabrics for the sashes.
We haven't seen rickshaws anywhere else, but makes sense that they are in this touristy area.
Must be especially brutal work during this summer of record high temperatures and humidity.
Across the Sumida River is Tokyo Skytree and the "Golden Turd," a giant sculpture officially called the Flaming Ornament, on Asahi Beer Company's corporate headquarters.

No comments: