Monday, January 21, 2019

EBC Day 2: First Yaks & More Suspension Bridges...

I was a bit too slow to witness yaks on a suspension bridge for the first time on our trek as they were already off the bridge by the time I got to the spot. Only this first yak was actually carrying anything; they were likely heading towards Lukla to pick up their loads.
In actuality, they weren’t yaks, but rather a yak and cow hybrid called a dzo, which tend to be smaller than yaks and can live at lower altitudes. For ease, I will refer to both breeds as yaks, but will point out our first sighting of real yaks.
I was glad not to be on the bridge at the same time as the yaks.
We crossed five suspension bridges that day, and I was daring and didn’t hold onto the railings on any of them. 
The views were amazing! 
Many of the little shops along the way were still closed.
We stopped for lunch at a restaurant high above the river...
...which our group had to ourselves.
I felt I’d really earned this delicious plate of fried noodles and vegetables.

No comments: