Friday, January 25, 2019

EBC Day 4: Rivendell Lodge...

The last part of our route took us down from Tengboche to Deboche at 12,525 feet (3,820 meters) for a net gain of 1,050 feet (320 meters). When we arrived at the Rivendell Lodge, the front yard was full of yaks.
At this elevation, there was no more regular WiFi available. We were supposed to be able to buy prepaid Internet cards, but the system was down. Little did we know at the time, but we wouldn’t have WiFi access again until Day 16.
I had an emotional moment that evening, but first a bit of background. Eleven days before my trek began, Ashlynn gave Veronica a necklace for her birthday with a key engraved with the word “Believe” from The Giving Keys, a social enterprise encouraging people to Pay it Forward in an effort to transition employees out of homelessness. Veronica immediately gave it to me so that I could believe in myself. It quickly became my mantra:

I believe. I believe. I believe I can trek all the way to Everest Base Camp.
At dinner that night Carlin realized that the chain was staining my clothes. I got teary-eyed as I considered just carrying the key instead of wearing it. Carlin then came to the rescue by taking a bauble made of rope off her day pack and turned it into a chain. Of course, I gave her a giant hug for saving my day.
We all paid extra for upgraded rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Our upgrade also entitled us to a power strip in our room, so we could charge our devices, and electric blankets.
Due to today’s rain, there wasn’t enough solar powered hot water to heat the water for our shower, shown here. Instead we took a shower in the hallway with gas heated water.

No comments: