Friday, January 25, 2019

EBC Day 4: Tengboche Monastery...

Our good luck with the weather eventually ended and it sprinkled for a couple of hours. I put off wearing my lovely poorly fitting hot pink poncho for as long as possible to minimize how long I looked like a complete goofball. It was hot, but at least helped keep me dry.
As slow as I was, we met our goal of arriving at Tengboche Monastery by 3 p.m. so that we might be able to see the Buddhist monks chanting. Although their service was postponed, we still got to visit the temple.
This Tibetan Buddhist monastery was originally built in 1916 and rebuilt in 1934 after a devastating earthquake; it was again repaired after the 2015 earthquake.
Unfortunately, photography wasn’t allowed inside, so I have no photos of the amazingly vibrant murals covering the walls painted by the monks. The Buddha in the front was massive and also very colorful.

No comments: